Sunday, October 14, 2012

Toronto

Gus and I had the opportunity to go to Toronto for a NP conference. I went just for the ride. At first I was very apprehensive to leave my kids for 5 days, but I am glad that I went. Because Gus spent most of the day in classes, I was left to explore the city all by myself.

The first night we were there, we saw the Toronto Blue Jays play the Minnesota Twins. This is how close our seats were to the field. It was AstroTurf, so I felt kinda jibbed! At the beginning of the game, they played the Star Spangled Banner and the Canadian national anthem. The Blue Jays won. Go Blue Jays (although you will never be my Mariners!)

The next day I set out on my own to explore. I rode the subway for the first time and went and saw Casa Loma. It is a house that was built in the 1910's for the wealthiest family in Toronto. They later had financial trouble and the house was abandoned only to be renovated and turned into a museum. It was beautiful! By far my favorite place.

We also went to the Toronto temple. It took us 2 1/2 hours to travel to Brampton, approx. 20 miles away, using public transportation. NOT my favorite thing. We couldn't do a session, but we were able to get a mini tour of the temple.

In Toronto, they have the CN tower which was built as a lightening pole, but turned into a tourist attraction. We ate dinner at the top in a spinning restaurant that overlooked the city.

The thing that I loved about Toronto is that there is so much cultural diversion. We ate a different ethnic food each night. I love Jamacian! There isn't any cultural segregation because there are so many cultures. Toronto is a city where the old meets the new. There will be old buildings towered by skyscrapers.

This was by far the scariest thing I saw:

A black squirrel!!





0 comments: